Thursday, October 11, 2007

Vegetable Sterilization



We had a dinner party this Thursday Night and as Daniel was preparing I snapped a picture of the vegetables in the sink. All of our vegetables have to be soaked in a sterilizing solution before we can eat them; we use Milton tablets. I had never heard of this stuff before but I read up on it and it is mostly used (in the UK, I think) to sterilize baby bottles. It is basically a bleach solution that we soak our vegetables in for about 20 minutes and it kills all germs (bacteria, viruses and fungi). I asked our cook if he needs to sterilize the vegetables he eats and he said that he does, especially to protect against typhoid! Yikes!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to look for these tablets. I'm in Makassar (Indonesia) and have read about Indonesians returning here after living in the US or elsewhere and they have gotten thyphoid here upon their return.

Lisa said...

Milton's also comes in a liquid. I have not seen the tablets here in Lagos. I got lucky and met someone at work who had a bunch and did not need them so they gave them all to me.