Saturday, January 26, 2008

Burns Supper - Another Scottish Ball

The Burns Ball is a celebration of the life and poetry of Robert Burns (1759–1796), Scotland's most famous poet, and writer of "Auld Lang Syne (Days of Long Ago)", a song you were probably humming to this past New Years! Here are a few good sites to tell you more about the song and Robert Burns.

http://www.worldburnsclub.com/newsletter/auld_lang_syne_what_about.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

We sampled Haggis, a traditional Scottish dish, which is typically made with the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. Haggis somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Greek cuisine), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour." (p592) (from Wikipedia).

I know it sounds terrible but it was not bad... as long as I ignored the woman next to me reminding me that I was eating 'entrails'!!

Prior to the event, Bob and I went to the Kingfisher Club, within the British High Commission, for Scottish dance lessons in preparation for the night.

5 comments:

rabiel said...

We had some haggis in Scotland several years ago. It was really not bad. Reminded me of ground meat- almost like meatloaf, but more seasoned. I want to hear more about the Scottish dancing you did. Keep up the blog. I enjoy it even tho I don't comment much.

rabiel said...

Oh, I forgot to ask. Did Bob wear a kilt?

Lisa said...

No, Bob was not wearing a kilt...

ebisan said...

hello there, my name is ebisan, and i am looking for my greatgrand father, he is a burns, i never meet him all i had were stories about him that he is from scotland and he came down to nigeria on official reasons and he worked with U.A.C HERE in nigeria and he has either a daughter or a sister in scotland namen margret burns,anyways he meet my greatgrand mother and they were together and they gave birth to my grand mother and her name is ALICE BURNS,.

I WOILD LIKE TO KNOW IF I COULD BE ASSITED BY HELPING ME FIND OUT WHICH OF THE BURNS WORKED IN NIGERIA AND HIS FULL NAME BECAUSE I WANT TO TRACE AND FOLLOW MY ROOT, I AM HOPPING TO HERE FROM YOU THANKS AND HAVE A BLESSED DAY...

SINCEARLY... EBISAN.

ebisan said...

some one please help me find my root back home